Of everything in Israel, the thing that has surprised me the most is the prevalence of lychees.
I mean, when was the last time you saw a lychee in the US? You have to go to Buford Highway and hope for the best. Here, the grocery store right down the street has them. Yeah, they're really expensive, but so what? They also have lychee flavored yogurt. Really, yogurt with little chewy lychee pieces. It's kind of exciting for me.
In other news, I dragged myself to synagogue last night (recommended to me at my beit din) and who did I sit behind? My girl crush, Rabbi Bortz from Or Hadash. I was sitting there thinking, this woman has great hair, I want to play with it. Then suddenly I realize that it's her! I had just had one of those "you're not really Jewish" conversations and was thinking: crap, what am I doing in Israel? Then I sit behind her. It was super cool, and I thought: fuck you Orthodox boy who made me think I was less than fully Jewish. God loves my little Jewish self. Rabbi Bortz is proof!
Other than that, let's see. Painted for 2 days this week, then made care packages for soldiers (I did manage to refrain from molesting the soldiers who came to pick up the care packages, but I have to admit that it waaaas difficult), then worked in a soup kitchen. That's about it. The cleaning woman caught me this morning in the kitchen and dragged me to shul with her, and then she fed me. She likes to have entire conversations with me in Hebrew whilst I smile and nod. Then her mom tried to marry me off. Apparently, 27 is the perfect age to move to Israel, get married, and have babies. "America no good."
Aaaaand, a new girl came to the Livnot building today. She is doing the University of Haifa Ulpan! These things aren't coincidences (I prefer coincidi) :)
Getting hungry, so I ought to wander downstairs and see what the situation of my lychees is, and also hide from the cleaning lady when she tries to make me clean dishes. yay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
She's got a 6th sense about when I am in the kitchen. I totally got caught & had to wash dishes, drat.
Post a Comment