I have made it safely to
I was a little worried about the security anyways, because are they going to go through everything? I took a cab from Greg’s dorm to the train station, and the security guard asked to see my passport. She asked a couple of questions, and let me go right in. I tried to use the ticket machine, but it wouldn’t take my credit card. It was saying something in Hebrew, so I gave up and went to the information booth. The lady told me that I needed to take a bus. What? I thought I was at the right station…I almost cried, cause I thought the cab driver brought me to the wrong station. I walk away, and think, no no this is right. Went to information desk. I was right, the lady just didn’t realize that I wanted to wait so long for a train when I could take a bus. Thank you. Went back, it took two ticket agents to sell me my ticket because they thought I was crazy. Only a little bit.
Train ride was relatively smooth, with one transfer along the way. It was nice to relax and stare out the window, although I think the other side of the train had a better view. But I saw a cool white water stream at the bottom of a big hill, which was cool. Got off the train, had to wait for a cab, who didn’t know where I was going, so that was fun.
All in all it was an adventure. Eventually, I got into my room. I helped the cleaning lady carry bags down the stairs, which was a good idea, because I have clean sheets now. She just kept talking and talking in Hebrew, even though I had no idea what she was actually saying. I understood, carry those down, it’s hot here, here are your sheets. The end. The room is little with a small dresser and cabinet, and four beds, two of them bunked. It’s all mine though, and I’m enjoying being alone.
I went for a walk to try to find a grocery store, but only around the block. There’s a little convenience store, but I didn’t go in. It was at the beginning of my walk, and I was holding out hope, but nothing else appeared. I would have gone back to the little store, but I had forgotten my water, so I needed to go in. Rule #1: never forget your water.
I haven’t really had anytime alone since before I left. I mean, there were some times when I was able to run away from the birthright group, but I always knew they’d be back. My first action in my little room was a clothing optional nap. I was disturbed about 20 minutes into said nap by someone trying to open my door. No knocking, just trying to open the door. This is disconcerting, because I have to leave my laptop in here. I might just put it in the safe when we leave in the mornings, cause that kinda freaked me out.
My volunteer options are: work in a soup kitchen or paint houses. Both are inside, and I don’t particularly want to do either of them, but I’m going to try to do the soup kitchen. I’ll meet more people that way. I’m not sure how closely the painters would be together. I’ve only seen a few people in the house so far, but I heard some guys. I’m going to wander downstairs soon and see what kind of trouble is brewing. I just hope nobody pilfers my food, I don’t have very much, plus it’s not good.
Tomorrow will start my first
So the plan was to wander downstairs like an hour ago. However, I’ve had a major setback. I locked the door behind me when I came into my room, and I can’t get it open. I’ve literally been trying for 30 minutes, no luck. I just called the woman who lives downstairs, and left her a message, but it’s 9:30 and she’s got a little kid. She might be asleep. This is funny, except it’s not. First problem: if there’s a fire I’m definitely screwed. Second problem: I’m really hungry, but I’ve got some little bars in my bag. Third problem: where do I pee? This is a major concern, since I drink more water in
YAY after 45 minutes I got someone’s attention. She couldn’t get it, her friend couldn’t get it, they got the guy in charge, he couldn’t get it. So he broke it down. I don’t think I’ve ever been more happy to see a man wearing a long beard, kipa, and tallit katan before in my life, or possibly ever again. How do I get myself into these things? I took pictures, but I don't know how to attach them to the post....
Everything is ok now. Plus, there are people outside barbequing and singing. Well, it’s just the after-dinner blessing, but it’s still pleasant. Tomorrow, I get 2 ice creams.
1 comment:
Sara,
One thing I have to say is, you are very brave for taking this trip. After reading about your minor troubles getting to Jerusalem (glad you got there safely), your wandering around town on your own (which sounds exciting but still scary) and then being locked in your room (very scary), I thought about how difficult it must be to travel alone (even if it's just alone some of the time) in a foreign country. So I'm impressed that you had the courage to do this. I think this trip is going to change your life in many ways.
Post a Comment