Monday, June 25, 2007

Volunteering done

Today, I painted. It's not my thing, trust me. Don't ever ask me to paint for you. I would much rather work in a soup kitchen, but the option didn't exist for today. Oh well. Somehow I got only 6 drops of paint on my pants. But managed to get 1/2 the drops on my zipper flap. Oh paint, why are you so naughty. We're in an extremely Haredi neighborhood, which is also super poor. I wonder what they think of us wandering around in our t-shirts and pants? Lots of Americans wandering about, though I'm afraid to hit on them. As Melissa and I say "he's a little no-cheeseburgers-for-our-12-children for my taste".

Afterwards, I went to the little mini-market and bought some grub. I enjoy stores, so that I don't have to say anything. Just put my food on the counter, and hand my credit card over. It works nicely. In a few minutes, I'm strolling about with two of the other volunteers (they're Canadian but OK, they rescued me last night). Oh, I have a new room. The nice lady tried to put me in one room but I couldn't even get the door open. This other room doesn't lock from the inside, but I've decided to be less of a pain and not bother asking again. Oh but I'm totally known as "the girl who got locked in her room". Awesome. I guess there are worse things to be known for.

This room is at least twice as big as the other and has it's own bathroom/shower. Kind of outside, it's nice. The building is suffering from LBES (little bug everywhere syndrome). It's throughly freaked out the Canadians, they're leaving early. But given the manner in which I was raised, I'm not bothered by it. And as a bonus, we get free cornflakes and coffee in the morning. Woohoo.

So...the camel story. Apparently, the back person gets on the camel first, then the front perso. If both people try to get on the camel at the same time, apparently the camel gets really upset. Or something. Or at least that's how I'm rationalizing it. So, there I was, the back person, getting on the camel, while the front person is getting on too (which we were told was perfectly OK). My foot is on the saddle, a little bit latched on. This is about when the camel decides to stand up prematurely. Staci (the front girl) is able to hop off with no problem. Not me. Camel is standing up, I'm dangling for a minute, then completely fall off. Luckily he's not completely up. I fall off, bruise right wrist, and scrap up left elbow, as well as landing heavily on my (happily well padded) right buttock. I was near David, who dove into action, and caught me before I fell and bumped my crown. I refused to get back on that camel, and Zina and Roi got it. Staci and I got on the one in front, and the only real negative repercussion was that the camel that tossed me later spit on my foot. Again, given the manner in which I was raised...worse things have happened.

OK, the Canadians and I are going out soon, so I'm going to go eat first. I can't afford to eat out really. BTW: if you want to donate money to me, Melissa has deposit slips. ;p no really

No comments: