Highlights so far:
Woman in line at passport spot in Airport
"Are you a Yeshiva girl?"
"No"
"Oh, so you don't know much about being Jewish"
"Depends on what you mean"
"I guess it matters who you compare yourself to...so a birthright trip? Are you going to any religious places or mostly secular?"
"I think my trip is mostly secular"
"Oh, well in order to know what it's really like to be Jewish in Israel, you need to go to a settlement..."
topic goes to me in Haifa she says
"Oh, you need to be careful in Haifa, there are a lot of Arabs there."
I die a little inside
"There's been violence in the University directed against Jews by the Arabs"
I bet....
Other highlights
Feeling weird that I know 900% more than the born-Jewish kids while I feel like a fraud for sitting in their mist while they talk about 4,000 years of being in a Jewish family & about the Shoah
Went to Sea of Galilee & hiked on Mt. Arbel
Told this cool Israeli guy about Melissa's "your friend in Nazareth, Jesus" story
Went to Tsfat, saw some cool synagogues & a hippie, Israeli guy called me over and said "Sara, look it's Jesus, he came back! I've been in this country my whole life & didn't know he was here" Later, the hippie disappears. Of course, I ask if the Israeli crucified him....we faied to get a pic though. Next time...next time...he'll be back.
Went on a hike by Jilaboon stream, sat behind with a girl who was having problems. I turn to the guard and say, "I'm going to go pee." Later I realize that there can't be a person in the world who the extent of my conversation in life consists of "I'm going to go pee" so we talked more later.
Tomorrow we going to Tel Aviv....then Jerusalem.
PS: option of lame party or hike through tunnels under Old City Jerusalem....the bus votes for the party....yeah, that about sums up my relationships so far....cause really, c'mon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Glad you made it safely, but honestly these changes in my life have made me simultaneously hate company, but also crave it. How does that work? Cole and I agree that the worst thing is general advice - like when Essie asks me how I'm doing, knowing full well that I am out of the program, and when I respond with "not good" she gives the bullshit answer, "I know, stay strong, you'll make it through." general advice sucks. i guess i miss hanging out with you because we're brutally honest with each other - is a refrshing change. anyway, off to code more of the 109th congress. boo.
It sounds like you're having a great time so far. Hope the trip over was good--I guess you got there safely so all is well. We had a Jewish Journeys II meeting last week and we were talking about you -- wondering what you thought of Israel and hoping that you were enjoying yourself, etc. I like the pictures you've posted so far...looking forward to seeing more. I'll check in with you again later. Stay safe and have fun!
-Lisa
Didn't mean for the last comment to be from "anonymous"...I'm not an experienced blogger yet :0.
Post a Comment